But, I am slow….

Today, I have something new on the blog. I get to co-host the ‘weekly wrap’ series with Holly and Tricia! I began following this series when I was training for my first half-marathon back in March this year. It’s been a great learning experience to see what so many bloggers are up to in their pursuit of leading a more healthier lifestyle. Let’s take a moment to thank the two of them for their dedication to this series. Hosting it every single week for the past two years, being on top of responding and commenting on their fellow linkers’ posts, sending encouraging thoughts across the board and coordinating guest linkups – it’s no ordinary feat! Thanks Holly and Tricia for bringing us all together.

WWGuest-Madhuri

I’ve been taking the back stage this past week with workouts. It’s been overwhelming busy with moving and unpacking, as well as at work, and social life, that led me to falling sick. So, I decided to rest it up and just attend November Project’s special event to keep my spirits high – the workout at the Raven M&T Stadium. If you haven’t been to an NP workout, I highly recommend it.

On a side note, it was an impulsive reaction to sign up for the
 Baltimore Running Festival. After my first half, I had no plans to run another one this year. Again, thanks to the NP peeps! Before I knew it, my credit card had jumped out of my purse into my hands and my fingers automatically registered for the event. You can call it my goal race in terms of having fun and running my very own local half-marathon for the first time. If a PR happens, it’s because there was a dog chasing me towards the finish line (#scaredofdogs). I have 9 weeks to go. Still not too late to start training. The plan is to start off with a nice 6 mile long run this weekend and take it from there.

Endless GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Literally, all my real life friends are non-runners. One common feedback that’ve I’ve received after my first half-marathon was that they would love to get started on running. But, that sentence is always followed by a slew of “buts”.

“But, I am super slow.”
“But, I haven’t run since high school. I don’t think I can run that fast.”
“But, I lose my breath after 5 minutes and then slow down.”

Since, today I am co-hosting the weekly wrap and have nothing much to tell about my last week’s workouts, I thought it would be appropriate to bring my real life non-runner friends and virtual life runner friends together and discuss this topic of speed.

1. No one expects you to be fast except you: It’s wonderful to have goals to be a fast runner and aim to run x min/miles. But, always remember, running is only a competition against you and only YOU. It’s called PR aka Personal Record for a reason. No one will care if you ran a 6 min/mile or 12 min/mile, in the same sense, that you won’t care either about them. Sure, we’ll talk about how fast others run, either in awe or in a super jealous tone, but at the end, you’ll be working only towards bettering yourself up.
  2. Relearn your childhood grit: Remember when you were a baby…Never mind… I don’t think anyone remembers that. But, if you ask your mom, you were born unable to keep your head in position. You slowly progressed to being able to flop on your tummy, then you learned to push yourself up and crawl, then you learned to stand up and only after that you learned how to walk. Running is similar! Nothing comes to you overnight. It takes hell lot of perseverance, tears, tries, giving ups, trying again, to be even able to run your first ever goal – say a mile non-stop. Do you recall the story of the hare and the tortoise; even the tortoise reached the finish line ultimately. All it had to do was try.
  3. Join a group if you have no clue about anything: Take that advice from me, someone who was really intimidated to join a running group due to fear of being judged for being super slow, not able to catch up with people, being the loner in most group runs, etc etc. It still makes a HUGE difference to join a running group. You can see people who are well ahead of the curve and that’s all that’s needed to keep your aspiration alive. Once mentally you’re attuned to your goal, physically, the body just becomes a slave to your mind.

That’s all I have to say about running (that’s a lie). As always, we runners LOVE talking about running and giving all the advice we have even if you didn’t ask. So, just imagine, if you did ask! We would love for you to join us, even for the deadly slowest run with you, if it means that we’ll get another soul hooked into this amazing lifestyle. Below you’ll find so many fantastic bloggers telling you their stories. Drop by their blogs. Each one of them will have an amazing ‘how they got started‘ post. I am sure you’ll find at least one that resonates with you.

For all you guys who already are in the runners’ cult, don’t forget to use the button below and link-up to share your story. Also, if you have any quick one-liner advice for the newbies, drop it below in the comments. Let’s spread this running love! Run Happy!

68 thoughts on “But, I am slow….

1. kookyrunner says:

I have yet to do a November Project workout but I would love try it out one day!

I’ve heard the same reasons from my non-running friends. For some reason, I think many non-runners think that we’re all fast Olympic athletes, when that is so not the case, lol. I always tell them that you don’t have to be fast, you just have to be dedicated.

Thanks for co-hosting the link up this week!

Liked by 2 people

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Haha. They do think that, don’t they? Haha. Dedication is the key! I would HIGHLY recommend NP. Joined just few weeks back after a whole year of stalking them on social media. It’s just awesome. Did my first burpee 🙂 Thanks for stopping by 😀

2. Clarinda says:

That looks like an intense workout! It’s so true that no one expects you to be fast except you. Sometimes, it’s ridiculous the standards we hold ourselves to. Runners need a break, too. 🙂 Newbie or veteran. Great reminder. Thanks!

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Haha. It was an intense workout. But the view from top was worth it, as always. That’s true. Sometime we need to pause and be as is and enjoy the sport for what it is. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

3. Sara Runs This Town says:

Thanks for hosting! Great post. I agree that it really just takes perseverance.
    You’ll love the Baltimore half…just be prepared for the hills. Training in Pittsburgh, I thought that I would be prepared but it was pretty tough! That bling makes it all worth it though. It was a really fun race.

4. Karen Bayne says:

I am glad you found a great group!! Makes a big difference 🙂 It is good to do things a little impulsively lol when I first started running, I was so intimated after my second half I took a year break afraid to try. I wish I wouldn’t have wasted that time.
    Running all those steps/bleachers would wear me out, that is a great work out.
    I have very few real life running friends so I use to hearing how crazy I am LOL

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Haha. They really do think we’re crazy. Glad to see you back in the running world. You came back and that’s what matters. I agree about being impulsive. I signed for my first half when I couldn’t run a mile, and I am so glad that I did it. Best decision! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

• Ponder N Wonder says:

I know right! I would highly recommend NP. It’s been only about 7 week I think for me. But, I am hooked. They switch up the workouts every week. So, you go in surprised, which adds some flavor and breaks monotony. Hope you get to try it out soon. Thanks for stopping by Deb 🙂

5. Lisa @ Mile by Mile says:

The Baltimore half is such a fun event! Ive done it 3 times, plus I did the full once. I doubt Ill be doing it this year since Im not running right now, but I think my husband will be running it so Ill probably go watch. I went to November Project once a few years ago. It was so fun! But now I live too far away and wouldn’t be able to get to work on time.

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Three times is great. And to do the full on such a hilly course. Would love to check out your blog for any race recaps and tips. Philly was my first half, and after having a super flat course, Baltimore is going to be fun. Thanks for stopping by Lisa 🙂

6. Zenaida Arroyo says:

I did the Baltimore Half and enjoyed it. Well, there were some hills that I wasn’t too happy about but overall still liked the race.

I agree that there are many ups and downs with running. But at the end of the day, it is FUN!!

7. Kimberly Hatting says:

I may have mentioned this before, but Baltimore is on my radar, but certainly not this year (ugh, #stillrecovering). Our daughter is in Hanover, PA, so Baltimore is kind of in that area. I’ve heard a lot of great feedback from that event!

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Yes, you did mention. If you ever decide to do it this year or next year, give me a shout. Would love to meet up in person. They do have other options other than than the half too. Thanks Kim for stopping by 🙂

8. HoHo Runs says:

With my bowed legs and weird knees, I never thought I could run. When I dared to start in my early 40s, I was amazed at what I could get my body to do! It is hard to comprehend that everybody else doesn’t want to feel the same way. And that’s OK. We all have different journeys. This is a wonderful post and I’m so happy to have you as our guest host this week. Thanks so much! I hope you make some great connections this week!

• Ponder N Wonder says:

That’s so inspirational! Although I do 15 min/miles and my run takes forever to finish, I feel amazed at what my body can do. Never would I have imagined it would run for 13.1 miles. I’m so glad I got hooked to running. Thanks Holly for stopping by. It’s been great to co-host this week and meet so many fellow bloggers on the same path to a healthier lifestyle.

9. sarahdudek80 says:

This is a really great post. I know so many people who are afraid to start running for the very reasons you just posted about. We all just need to find what works for us and find a way to enjoy it. Thanks so much for sharing!

10. Lesley says:

I’m slower than my high school and college times, but that’s when I had to be competitive. Now I do it for fun, and I’m older, with a desk job. Yes I’m slower, but I’m having a lot more fun.

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Yes, they were “fun”. But the view from up top was all worth it. I hope you get to try NP someday. It’s a fun workout that leaves you thinking you worked! Thanks for stopping by Michelle 🙂

• Ponder N Wonder says:

That is kind of inconvenient to travel for. I know some places have some special workouts on other days as well. May be that might be an option for you. My biggest fear is moving to a place that doesn’t support the healthy lifestyle too much and doesn’t have an NP. It’s been only 6 weeks and I am hooked.

11. Sharon says:

I’ve heard lots of great things about November Project but unfortunately there isn’t a group close to me! I would totally go though if there was! Way to sign up for your next half! I’m sure you will do great!

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Yup. I had one in Baltimore and never went for 3 years because I was intimidated. Now, it’s no looking back. I hope the NP love spreads to your city as well and you get to experience it. Thanks for the virtual wishes and thanks for stopping by! 🙂

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Yes.. we all have our ‘one day’ when it all works out. I hope you get to experience NP soon. It’s a blast! I had a local one and didn’t go for 3 years. And I regret it. But, it’s been 6 weeks so far and there’s no looking back. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

12. Jessie @ The Acquired Sass says:

Ah, I’ll have to see if NP is near me. I always hear other people talk, and then forget to check to see if they are nearby.

Oh running. I had someone once tell me that no matter how fast or slow you run, there is always SOMEONE out there who would love to run as fast as you do. I try to always remember that speed is relative. For 12:00 folks, 10:00 may sound wicked fast. For 7:00 minute folks, 5:00 sounds ABSURD. But someone out there would LOVE to run a 12:00 // mile, or any mile at all. Which, I always remind myself when I need some perspective.

• Ponder N Wonder says:

True. Totally resonate with that thought. I run 15 min/mile and days I am sulking, I always think back when I was a 17 min/miler and how may be someone would love to break 15 one day. Hope you get to check NP really soon. Let me know if you do. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

13. Chaitali says:

It’s funny how we just end up registered for races! Good luck with the training 🙂 I’ve convinced two friends to join me in running which makes me happy. I think letting people know i just do run/walk intervals helps because it’s not as intimidating as running all out. And explaining to people that you can get a plan and ramp up gradually to get to whatever goal distance you have seems useful too. No one says you have to get there right away.

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Haha that’s awesome. Two friends is quite a feat. I have made some of them run 5ks with me. Now just need to hook them up to running. That’s a good idea to suggest run/walk intervals. I should use it next time. Thanks for stopping by Chaitali 🙂 I’m intrigued each week to find out how your heart rate training is going.

14. heathermundwiler says:

I would love to try a November Project workout! I haven’t made it to one yet thought because they’re in DC, and I’m not sure I would be able to make it there and back in time for work in Maryland. I should look into though and see if I could make it work though.
    I love that your description of your credit card jumping out of your wallet is one I have experienced many times with races. I just don’t know how it happens! Thanks for hosting!

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Haha. Yes exactly. It just magically happens. I do know that some NPs have special events on Saturdays or the group meets up for long runs during marathon/half-marathon training. May be that might be an option for you. Hope you get to try it out soon. I hear great things about the NP-DC tribe. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

15. Melissa (I Crashed the Web) says:

I’ve heard that the Baltimore half is a fun event! Enjoy yourself and hopefully there are no dogs chasing you 🙂 I would love to do a 1/2 but I am recovering from some piriformis issues. I did get in a 5 mile run which was my longest run and forever this weekend. I am paying for it today!

16. Chocolaterunsjudy says:

I think my biggest advice to a new runner is that if you’re huffing & puffing & hating it — slow down! Getting faster will come, but it takes time and it takes time for your body to adapt, too. Keeping up with the Jonses (aka the people who have been running a while) is a sure route to injury or dislike of running.

17. Amy @ Life to the Full says:

You make such great points! Seriously, we are our hardest critics and those high expectations/pressures are often self-induced too. Most of my friends in non-blogging-life are non-runners as well and it does seem to baffle many 🙂 Wait, why would you pay money to run? Again?! Running is really a wonderful habit (or addiction). Keep up your running and good luck in your upcoming race!

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Thanks Amy . It is a wonderful addiction. I got into it pretty late. But, I am glad I did. It helped me get through some rough times. Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope to check out your blog too and get to know more about your healthy lifestyle journey.

18. jessicam1407 says:

Most of my real life friends aren’t runners either. And my husband definitely isn’t!! Sometimes it gets lonely, but I’m also not a very good running partner. I don’t want to talk — I just want to get it over with, haha.

19. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Happy to see you cohost and I’m excited to hear you’re training for your next half marathon! I look forward to following your training these next few weeks! I’ve never gone to a November Project workout, I have to admit that I’m a bit intimidated! But I definitely agree that running groups can be so supportive! Really great tips.

• Ponder N Wonder says:

It took me 1 year of instagram stalking to finally go to NP. It felt intimidating it. But, hands down, they made me feel so comfortable since day 1. There’s always so many people with the same paces and abilities as you. Would highly recommend giving it a try once. Thanks for stopping by Janelle 🙂