I’m a Half-Marathoner {First Thoughts}

Emotions are overwhelming! Feelings are disarray! Thoughts are running wild. THE ONE goal I’ve had for about a year (secretly for 2.5 years) has finally worked its way into reality.

I’m a Half-Marathoner!

When I started this whole ‘Let’s try to get fit‘ thing, I never realized that one day, I shall be a half-marathoner. Little did I know, that it would spruce into reality at the Philly Love Run this soon in my life. Considering me and my procrastination habits, I knew the only way to get this done was to sign up for something huge that I thought I wasn’t capable of. Months of getting my foot out of the door after a long work day, those several weeks of waking up at 5 am on Saturdays to get the dreaded ‘long runs’ done, months of arranging my ‘real’ life schedule around my training, months of mentally overcoming the small fears and big fears – have finally paid off!

I never spoke in detail (or publicly) about what I wanted this race to be for me. I had two major goals – one was to finish strong and second was to finish with a huge smile on my face. CHECK. And CHECK. Yesterday was THE best day I could I have asked for a first half-marathon. I felt physically good and mentally great! I shall definitely have a full race recap and all the thoughts that went through during the race sometime soon (once I stop walking like a penguin and recover well). But, for now, here’s a little tease for you. I finished 5 minutes faster than my goal time. Don’t ask me how! I’ve never run that long and fast ever before in this lifetime (and previous ones too).

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 9.33.45 AM

I’m going to leave you with a piece of advice I received from a good friend yesterday, amongst all my congratulatory messages. After all, this is all just the beginning!

“There’s no limit to what you can do!
Don’t let anything and anyone ever stop you from chasing your goals.”

(I’m linking up with Courtney of Eat Pray Run DC for her Training Recap linkup and HoHo and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap! Do check out their training and other bloggers for some real inspiration!)

20 thoughts on “I’m a Half-Marathoner {First Thoughts}

1. Diana Becker says:

Woo hoo congratulations! There really is no better feeling in the world than crossing that finish line after so much hard work and dedication! You should be VERY proud of yourself and really take some time to let it all soak in 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Thanks Diana. Yes, it hasn’t still sunk in. i sit down to pen my thoughts, but there’s way too much to say. Just going to wait until it all soaks in. I’m usually a late reactor. Haha! Thanks for stopping by.

2. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Congratulations, Madhuri! I’m sorry we didn’t get to see each other on Sunday. I’m so happy for you, you’ve joined the half marathoner club! Enjoy the afterglow, we had such a great day to race 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Yup. It feels so heartwarming to be part of that club now. Since Sunday, I’ve hugged my medal many a times. We indeed were really lucky that it didn’t rain. Our meeting up will definitely happen one day!

3. HoHo Runs says:

Congratulations! I’m so happy everything went well for you. You put in the hard work and the sacrifice. I know it must feel satisfying to have that pay off. And — five minutes faster is awesome! Enjoy that success. Don’t forget, we need those details! That’s a wonderful piece of advice you received. You truly can do anything you set your mind too. Thanks for linking, Madhuri!

Liked by 1 person

• Ponder N Wonder says:

Thanks so much Hoho for those kind words. It indeed feels satisfying and still surreal. Did I really do it? It’s way too many thoughts to gather and I am hoping to link up by Monday for a full race recap:) Thanks for stopping by!