The Journey on a Long Commute

6849764557_44f1561877_b

In the past year, my commute time to-and-fro work has tripled. What used to be a 20 minute joy ride to work is almost close to an hour now. My close friends around me know of this fact because not a day goes by when I haven’t complained about it. But over the course of time, I have realized the little personal journey I go through each day on my long commute. I take the public transit (two to lay down the facts) and can do the following. I dare not encourage you to try them if you’re the one behind the wheel. Haha!

REFLECTIONS:
How can thou contemplate on thy life with no time for thee, I ask ye’
Being busy’ has become a recurrent response to when asked, “how are you?” Has busy become how we are rather than who we are? Amidst the “busy” lives we claim to have, hitting the pause button and reflecting on our life goes a long way in our mental sanity. When we are sane, the people around us are sane. Am I right?

SILENCE:
Ain’t it a long time since you enjoyed your cup of coffee in peace and serenity, completely ignoring the hustle and bustle of the society around? “Look outside for inspiration, go inside for the answers” was my today’s lesson of the day (Courtesy: Elysha). How can we hear those answers softly being whispered to us without a sense of inner calm.

WISDOM:
Flooded with fancy gadgets and technology in this modern era, how often do we chance the opportunity to pick up a nice new book, flip through each of its crispy white pages and drown ourselves in a whole different world. A world of new dreams, numerous possibilities and infinite wisdom!

PRODUCTIVITY:
Only when all has been done and the soul has been nourished, does our truest and highest potential manifest outside.

Would I love to have a car to drive myself around especially on cold wintry evenings when I need to walk 7 blocks to run my errands or on sick days when I want to catch some extra sleep and yet not be late for work? Heck, of course!! But, that would mean giving up on this personal voyage with my inner self that I have every single day!

*****

20 thoughts on “The Journey on a Long Commute

• pondernwonder says:

Yup! We actually notice things around when you don’t have a car. Would love to have one for convenience, but also nervous that it was make me super lazy. 🙂

1. Lauren Boldizar says:

girl I feel your pain- I recently transitioned over from a job that had an hour commute to one that is now 15 mins away. What always worked well for me was listening to a good podcast that would get me into the right mindset and I felt like I could really embrace my day (and commute)! Good luck!

Liked by 1 person

• pondernwonder says:

That’s so true! I listen to music many a times while drinking my cup of coffee. Gotta check out some podcasts. Would love some suggestions.

• pondernwonder says:

That’s true… It’s like special ‘me’ time… I try to reduce phone usage during commute… The bus is filled with human souls with crooned necks glued to their phones…haha…I haven’t tried podcasts yet, but been hearing such good things on it… I don’t know where to start…any suggestions?

2. lisarunsforcupcakes says:

Throughout our moves my commutes have varied. I’m currently enjoying a 20 minute commute and I will say that I love getting home relatively quickly after picking up my daughter form her after school program. Kuddos to you for embracing your current situation! Perspective is everything.

Liked by 1 person

• pondernwonder says:

That’s true…. I know anytime in the future, if my commute reduces by even 10 minutes, I shall be ever grateful to it… I think an hour is the maximum I shall ever take in life!

Liked by 1 person

• pondernwonder says:

Wow… 3 is a lot… And here I was thinking I had it worst of all… That’s true…. the commute gives so much ‘me’ time 🙂

3. runawaybridalplanner says:

That is a long commute, you are a better person than me I used to complain if I had to drive more than 15 minutes to get to work, LOL However, on the bike I bet especially on the way home it’s a fun way to reflect and regroup and let all work stress go and begin a great evening! Love your attitude!

Liked by 1 person

• pondernwonder says:

Thanks Kristy… In all honesty, I did complain a lot before and have become better at it. If you can’t change the outside, change the inside, am I right? Bike – I have to honestly disclose publicly that I don’t know how to ride a bike. That’s on my bucket list for 2017.