Let’s make that list

What’s the best thing about writing on a Sunday morning? The serenity of the mind, the lack of need mood to get things done, and most importantly, it’s the absence of hustle-bustle while I sip on my COFFEE! Welcome to Post #3 of Kristy’s Blog Hop. I’m known for writing reallllly long blog posts. So, today, my aim is to write something succinct. I’ll try! The theme I am going for today, doesn’t have much to say, yet I believe it can make a huge difference in our lives.

I love reflecting back on the past, to take cues on how I could improve upon the days to come. 2016 has been such a weird, yet one of my favorite years. There were loads of UPs that came my way in the guise of opportunities received well beyond my deservedness and personality changes that helped me grow into a more happier and wholesome individual. Let me keep this short coz I don’t want to steal thoughts from my end of year blog post. Haha! Of course, with all the Ups in life, comes the DOWNs too. Losing someone really really special very recently would come in that category. Unfortunately, death is a harsh reality of life!

“Pleasure is an interval between two pains.”

– Sai Baba (Indian Philosopher)

Being the type A person that I am, I love making lists! Last week, it got me thinking. I make lists for all the mundane tasks in life like things to buy, errands to run, people to call back, etc etc. Why haven’t I ever thought of making a list about life itself? Wouldn’t it be a good initiative to make a list about the pros and cons of my life? Our mind, though fascinating, works in mysterious ways. Although we might have 99 good things going on, it tends to obsess with the one bad thing that’s happening and bogs us down. I guess it’s its job! The hardest part is probably thinking about all those favorable aspects that went right in life, when we are having an otherwise terrible day. I guess, our first instincts are wired like that. Rewiring takes time and may be, a list might be just the way.

We could make a pro-con list of all our life aspects. It could be simple, yet include the anything and everything of our lives. May be, the barista just made you an excellent coffee today (Pro!) or you just won an Emmy (Still a Pro!). Of course, life definitely has its cons. A person who says life sucks all the time or a person who says life is just amazingly amazing always – both are big fat liars.  With every pro on the left section of the list, we could strike off one con on the right side of the list and vice versa too. At the end of each month, we could tally the numbers that carries forward to the next month. And before we know it, most likely, we would have had many more rewards in life to be thankful for than the not so pleasing cons. Probably a project I should kick start in 2017!!! Sometimes we just need things in writing to open up our minds.

pro-con

Do you have any special tips and tricks that you use to bring you back to a positive mindset?
Would
love to hear your thoughts!

*****

13 thoughts on “Let’s make that list

1. runawaybridalplanner says:

Great idea for a post!
    Earlier this year I made a similar list, I didn’t really title it pro’s and con’s, but I put down everything I wanted in life (realistic and unrealistic) and next to it I wrote ways to achieve it. I won’t get into the specifics but it was because of that I quit all my jobs, put my company on hold and moved 5 hours away to go back to college for 2 years.
    You just never know when you start putting yourself on the right path where it may lead!

Liked by 1 person

• pondernwonder says:

Your last line is exactly what I needed to hear today!!! Thank you so much for sharing your life changes. I am considering some significant changes in my life and as always, there is that fear – whether it’s right or wrong. But, I sat down yesterday and made a list. Things I want to change in my life and what I need to do to make that change. Of course, change doesn’t come overnight and we need really do the hard work. But, just writing it down, helps to put things into perspective of the realistic and unrealistic aspects to it. Would love to hear more of your story some day! 🙂

2. Chaitali says:

That Sai Baba quote is great! I definitely try to concentrate on the pro’s in my life and especially if I’m down about something specific, it helps to list all the things I have to be grateful about.

Liked by 1 person

• pondernwonder says:

Yup very true. I usually journal all the positives i my life. When I am feeling down, it’s so hard to think of the good things going on in life. At that point, flipping through my journal helps.

• pondernwonder says:

Glad I could be of some help. Thanksgiving is a nice holiday to pause for a minute and think back on all the things to be grateful for. They should have TG and TG break (haha) twice a year at least.

3. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I like the idea of making lists about the pros and cons of your life. I’m a little Type A too, lol, even though I’m in denial! I think around the new year is when I really like to dig deep!

Liked by 1 person

• pondernwonder says:

I had no idea that I was a Type A person until all my friends around teased me quite a bit. Haha! I can’t wait for the new year in a way… new year, new beginnings!

• pondernwonder says:

Yup!!! I know what you mean… I used to always put mundane things-to-do on my list and it was so boring. For the past few months, I have been adding stuff-to-do that nourishes my soul like READING, writing blog posts, etc etc… I love writing, but usually wait until I have free time to write blog posts… Started reversing that trend and actually freeing up time to write. Feels so good!